Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Panache for Dunstan von Wilster

OriginalMine
PDunstan

This is based on Paris, Bibl. Sainte-Geneviève, ms. 0257, f. 133v. It's the first illumination I've done in 5 months, and only the second in over a year. On Oct. 14 I picked the initial, drew the layout, composed the text and partly calligraphed it; on Oct. 15, I finished the calligraphy; and on Nov. 13 I did the initial. I was unhappy with the whitework when I finished it (and am still when I compare it to the original), but I was pleasantly surprised to find, the next day, that I thought it rather good. Usually my scrolls do not improve in my estimation by waiting.

The text reads:

Paul and Aryanhwy, king and queen of Drachenwald, to all the dukes, counts, barons, and lords of this kingdom, greeting. Let it be known that we have not only by the testimony of many worthy and credible gentles but also by our own witness been informed and acquainted of the many skills and deeds in armoring and metalsmithing displayed by our subject Dunstan von Wilster. In recognition we make the said Dunstan a member of the ancient and honorable Order of the Panache, with all the rights, responsibilities, appertaining thereto, and so that all may know of his excellence, of his knowledge, and of his prowess in these matters we charge him to bear the badge of the order, a torteau charged with a bezant pierced with sabale, three feathers issuant to chief gules, Or, and sable. So that none may contest this our will we the said king and queen abovenamed have witnessed these presents on the 6th day of October, a.s. xlvii, at Crown Tournament.

I'm miffed that I smeared the calligraphy; I tried to scrape it, but I'm not a very good scraper yet.


© 2012, Sara L. Uckelman.

No comments:

Post a Comment